Re.Sarracenia seedlings

From: Nathan J. Clemens (sundew@mitmania.net.au)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 16:12:12 PDT

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:12:12 +1000
From: "Nathan J. Clemens" <sundew@mitmania.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re.Sarracenia seedlings

Dear list

I realise that this topic appeared a while back, but I have been out of
action owing to the flu.
I have quite a few 1st, 2nd & 3rd year Sarracenia seedlings, & all of them
do manage to capture very small prey. This is easliy observed by holding
the tiny pitchers up against some bright light, such as the afternoon sun,
or a torch. Then one can see the black mass of tiny insects, like a dark
shadow. I do apply 1 tenth strength Thrive fertiliser in the growing
season, about once a fortnight to help them along. As I grow them in live
Sphagnum, this also helps to keep the moss in check for a couple of months,
owing to the slight algae greening of the surface.

I hope this sheds some light on things.

Regards

Nathan J. Clemens
NSW Australia