RE: Sphagnum for Cephs?

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 16:11:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:11:13 -0400
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sphagnum for Cephs?

Chris,
  I have been growing and selling Cephs for quite a long time now and I've
used just about everything that you could think of to grow these plants in
including live and dried sphagnum. Now, I use a different medium other then
live sphagnum to grow my plants in, but I still like live sphagnum as a root
started for leaf, pitcher and rhizome cuttings. I've yet to find anything
better. Cephs will grow in live sphagnum very well until the sphagnum
outgrows the Ceph. This would not be a problem with 4 or 5 plants, but I
grow about 200 Cephs all the time and I just don't have the time to spend
cutting back all the over grown sphagnum. As part of my Ceph soil mix I
still use dried sphagnum and will continue to do so as long as the plants
continue to grow as well as they do. Hope this helps.
 Charles Brewer
 Va. Beach, Va.