Re: couldn't find cps

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 10:04:37 PDT

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: couldn't find cps

Hi Philip,

> In my (limited) experience, I've never seen N. American CPs growing without
> sphagnum moss present so live, healthy sphagnum is a good flag to look for.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Philip
> URL du jour: http://www.rosencrantz.com/

        While I agree that the presence of sphagnum often means the
presence of North American cp's, I have found plenty of sites with no
sphagnum and lots of Drosera. I know of many people who find Ping
vulgaris growing along wet seepages amongst grasses or near waterfalls in
rock crevices. I've also found lots of areas where sphagnum grew, but
there was no cp's, and these were areas devoid of any human impact.

        This is just to let the original poster know, don't rely
completely on the presence of sphagum. One interesting thing is that
while these plants stand out like a sore thumb in cultivation, the
majority I've seen in the wild blend in extremely well with their
surroundings. Given their size, you may end up stomping on them before
you finally realize that they're right below your feet. Once you start
seeing them, you'll usually see hundreds, if you're lucky!

Happy growing,

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences