CPs in / around the Dallas/Fort Worth area

From: Danny Hammons (danny@hammonsoft.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 16:13:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 18:13:16 -0500
From: Danny Hammons <danny@hammonsoft.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPs in / around the Dallas/Fort Worth area

In the immediate DFW area, I am not aware of any CPs to be found in the wild.
There are several people in the area that have some nice collections.
Also, you don't have to travel too far from the DFW area to find CPs in the
wild.

Taking I-45 South from Dallas to Leon County (+- 100 miles) will get you
in the S. Alata range. The Flynn Bogs, which is on private property, has some
  nice S. Alata bogs.

Also, I work with a man who went to college outside of Big Sandy, Texas.
I do not recall the college name, and it is now closed. I believe it's
located on Highway 80 just to the southeast of Big Sandy. My co-worker
recounted CHOPPING down S. Alatas which grew in the boggy area on the
campus (as part of his mowing duties!) On and around the campus are
several boggy areas that USED to have S. Alatas in abundance. To get to
this area, take I-20 east from Dallas about 80 miles, then go north to
Highway 80. (Or just take highway 80 east from I-20 in Terrell). I've
been told that the campus in basically closed / abandoned, so hopefully
the S. Alatas have regained their hold in the boggy areas!

The best stands of Alatas I've seen in Texas can be found north of
Beaumont in the Big Thicket National Wildlife Preserve (in the preserve
itself and on private land in the area.) You'll find trails named for
CPs in the preserve
  (Pitcher Plant Trail and Sundew Trail) off of Highway
69 between Village Mills and Warren. However, this area is about 240
miles southeast of Dallas.

I'm hoping to get a new web page up with my CPs soon.

Hope this info helps! I would love to know of other places near DFW
that s. alatas and d. capillaris can be witnessed in the wild.

Danny Hammons
Arlington, Tx
danny@hammonsoft.com