Re: Growing VFT in the tropics: how?

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 17:29:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 05 Aug 99 20:29 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing VFT in the tropics: how?

Dear Sofyan David Subiyanto <dave@INTI.CO.ID>,

> Soil: Peatmoss and Sand; A liitle bit Acidic (low pH)

   Your soil is very good.

> Water: From the mountain river

   I can't say for sure, but it is probably OK to use.

> Type of seasons: dry season and rainy season. No winter, no frost.
> 1. Do I still have to provide a dormancy period for my VFT?

   Yes!

> 2. Since I can not provide a natural dormancy period for my VFT, what
> should I do? Should I give up?

   No! You can still grow VFT, anyway. :) When it has grown for seven
or eight months, move the plant into the shade for a week. Let it become
less moist than normal, but never let the soil become dried out. With-
out adding more water, take the VFT out of the soil and place it in
a plastic bag along with some damp soil to keep the bulb from becoming
too dry. Keep the plant in the fridge for about two months and then
you can return it to it's pot and it should flower for you. A Zip-
Loc type baggie works best and it is a good idea too check on the
bulb(s) every couple weeks for mold (too moist) or for drying out.
A healthy, dormant bulb will be firm to the touch, don't press too
hard, BTW.

> 3. Can I use peatmoss, enriched with some mineral elements (N, P, K,
> etc)?

   Plain peatmoss (from a Sphagnum bog) is good. Most CP's naturally
dislike enriched soils.

Dave Evans