Pollinating VFTs

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 20:35:58 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:35:58 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pollinating VFTs

Hi,

This is perhaps a basic question, but just how does one pollinate a
VFT? I have tried it several times already. I use a small makeup
brush, wiggle it all around inside the flower every day they are
open, and I set the brush down as is beside the terrarium until I
use it the next day. Pollen does seem to stick to the brush,
although not much. I have also used a Q-tip once. And I have also
once tried cutting a stamen(?)and using that directly. Am I
supposed to be using a special kind of brush? Or could my VFT be
sterile? It is a garden center TC rescuee.

Also, what is the difference between the flower stalk going black
because it is dying, and going black after it has been pollinated?
Having never been successful, I just don't know.

Chris F.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]