D. Adelae die-off

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 15:25:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:25:06 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. Adelae die-off

Hi all,

I've been talking with someone about D. Adelae and the fact that it
is very hard to keep the larger more mature plants from dying from
the bottom up. My experience is that when the plant becomes
reasonably large, it quickly starts getting brown/dead leaves from
the bottom up, to the point that the whole plant perishes as such.
In my case, a few leaves always survive, giving me plenty of
plantlets, so I never run out. Even cutting the plant at the base
does not really seem to help, since in the end, I still only get
plantlets, and the mature plant (cutting) does not survive as such.
I suggested that perhaps that this might be a normal way of
reproduction for the plant. First of all, I have heard that D.
Adelae seeds may not be viable. I have also noticed that the
plantlets can last a very long time as young plants, in less than
perfect situations, such as low light or overcrowding. I have had
plantlets survive virtually unchanged for up to a year. But as soon
as I allow the plant to become full-grown, it dies down again. My
contact has also mentioned that for him, the plants tend to do much
better with less light than other CPs, although he has experienced
the same problem as me regarding mature specimens.

So anyways, we were just wondering if anyone else out there might
have some opinions about this subject.

Take Care.

Chris F.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]