Re: Purple Pitcher Plant?

From: Walter Greenwood (walter@radserv.arad.upmc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 06:34:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:34:14 -0400
From: "Walter Greenwood" <walter@radserv.arad.upmc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Purple Pitcher Plant?

Susan Ziegler wrote:
>I bought this oddly named plant from an HQ store. It has no trace of
>purple on it as of yet.. the pitchers are attached to the leaves and they
>are about 2 inches tall.. what kind of cp is this and what conditions does
>it need?

Sue,

While on vacation this summer I purchased a nice rosetted sundew at a Home Depot near Houston. The label said,
however, that it was a "Hybrid Nepenthes"! It could have been mislabeled, or the Nep could have died while
sitting on the shelf, leaving a bit of Drosera tissue in the sphagnum moss to take over the whole pot. With so
many types of tissue-cultured CP showing up in retail stores, often labeled incorrectly, it is hard to
speculate about what your plant might be, except to say that if it is correctly labeled, it is a Sarracenia
purpurea, which can be anything from light yellow green to solid dark purple, depending on both genetics and
environment. It's a good bet to set it in a shallow tray in a half-inch of distilled water and put it under a
fluorescent light, within 12" or the tubes, or in a sunny spot. Check out www.sarracenia.com/faq.html for
pictures and more detailed cultural information.

 - WG

--
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.