Re: N. maxima x northiana ?

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 20:07:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:07:45 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. maxima x northiana ?

<< Dear Cliff,

> Other species in the area are N. albo-marginata and maxima if memory
serves,
> and natural hybirds of these are known.

 AFAIK, true _N. maxima_ has never been found on Borneo, especially
 not in the W of that island. Can you please check your memory again?
 What is *really* growing near _N. northiana_?

 Kind regards
 Jan

Dear Jan,

I may not be up to date on the status of N. maxima, I have several plants
labeled as such, a good many of which come from Sulawesi and have the ruffled
leaves (and are among the most beautiful Nepenthes). I also have two similar
plants both of uncertain origin, though one could probably be tracked down
with a phone call or two (one is from Longwood, the other has only been
traced as far back as Australia, we don't know where they got it from).
These plants were thought to have originated in Sarawak, they seem to be N.
maxima, with petiolate leaves, gladular boss and crest, very wide peristome
which is a chocolate color, and vividly striped pitchers purplish brown on
green. I do not believe them to be exagerated forms of N. fusca but that is
possible. The body is much wider, the lid broader, the peristome more
expanded and flattened than N. fusca. They do share its coloration. Again,
I have no proof of Sarawak as their point of origin.

The only other 'evidence' I have of N. maxima from Sarawak is of a plant a
friend had received from Munich Botanic Garden as N. northiana. What amazed
us was its ease of care and vigor. Upon close inspection we noticed the
'saddle' opposite the leaves on N. northiana was incomplete on the specimen
and that the plant bore a great resemblence to N. x mixta (north. x max.) in
all respects except the pitchers have a bit more brown in coloration. Based
on the supposed origin of the above plants we made an assumption that this
was a natural hybrid of the two. It could also have been a labeling error at
Munich but that is unlikely.

If N. maxima does not occur on Borneo (and I know the Lambs had difficulty
finding it), are you familiar with forms of N. fusca that could pass for N.
maxima? I know N. fusca runs from at least Kinabalu down through the Crocker
range, I have not heard of it near Bau, but there is still the problem of the
above mentioned hybrid.

Any help is appreciated.

Cliff