Re: Re: freezing plants solid

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 23:10:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 26 Aug 99 02:10 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: freezing plants solid

Dear Kevin,

> I think D. capensis might be able to in a bog or bog like situation.
> At least I know it and D. binata can be hardy in the Puget Sound basin
> of Washington State USA and up the coast north past Vancouver B.C. in
> Canada. In inland areas a nice snow pack would sure help also.

   Well, if it is similar to a New Jersey winter, you can kiss
those plants good-bye. I have tried year after year to get
D.capensis and D. binata to establish in my bogs and they never
came back with the spring.
   Interesting plants that did, however: P. pumila, D.burmanii
(it might be sessifolia, I have to see the flowers). D. peltata
did manage to survive one winter, only to rot in dormancy after
flowering.
   Of course, the first two survive as seed through winter, but
I was very suprised when the peltata came back and flowered.

Dave Evans