D. schizandra

From: Matty Sundewseed (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 08:01:23 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:01:23 GMT
From: "Matty Sundewseed" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. schizandra

Thought Id share this with the list. Recently, my large D schizandra
appeared to have died. My plan was to cut off the top and see what happened
but I decided instead to check the roots. I was very pleasantly suprised to
find a nice root system - maybe 5 or 6 roots of 6" or so, with several tiny
plantlets growing on 2 or 3 of them.

The previous medium was sand / peat but I separated and planted the roots
horizontally on dead sphagnum where the plantlets will now hopefully develop
their own roots.

Based on reading Id done in the past on schizandra, I thought it loved HOT
temperatures but Im starting to think it was heat that killed off the parent
plant. A pot of prolifera I had in a terrarium that tends to get pretty hot
seemed to dislike the heat as well as leaves turned a little whitish in
color. Since I removed them from the terrarium and placed them in a plastic
baggie off to the side, theyve regained their normal color and seem to be
doing fine.

As for medium, in the past Id been led to
believe that schizandra, prolifera and adelae all needed to be planted in
sphag moss rather than peat mixes. I was pretty impressed by the plants I
got from another list member (thanks Kirk) and decided to go with his mix of
peat-sand. Since the schizandra accident, I switched back but I was
wondering what other people are growing their schizandras in and if they
notice better results w sphag moss.

Matt