Pygmy problems

From: A.J. Paton (aj@paton1.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 13:36:35 PDT

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:36:35 +0100
From: "A.J. Paton" <aj@paton1.free-online.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pygmy problems

Hi all!

A couple of months ago I bought (mail order) a few pygmy sundews. They have
been living in a partially shaded south facing window, and have been pretty
much permanently in water since I got them. Some have recovered their dew,
but one is concerning me slightly.

My D. platystigma has grown a few new leaves, but none seem to have opened
out to display their tentacles, and the lower, dying leaves are creeping
nearer the top of the plant.

Would it be likely to 'perk up' if I moved it out to my greenhouse (and
would the other pygmies also benefit from this?).

Also, 'The Savage Garden' says that most species can be kept wet year-round
without a summer dormancy. Would I be right in assuming that, as my plants
are likely to have been propagated in the UK, their summer dormancy will
correspond with our (brief!) summer (rather than thinking that it is an
Australian winter)?

Regards,

A.J.