RE:VFT sites

From: Patricia Walker (patricia.walker@christcom.net)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 08:24:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:24:49 -0400
From: "Patricia Walker" <patricia.walker@christcom.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE:VFT sites

There is a large Heritage preserve near Myrtle Beach that has VFT, Lewis
Ocean Heritage PReserve. When I visited in July I could not find any VFT. My
eyes were hurting at the end of the day from looking so hard. The site is
9400 acres and there are no sign that say "This way to VFT's". It's hard to
know how to find them unless you are with someone who knows the preserve. I
did see lots of S. Flava and some Purpurea and finally found some sundews,
as well
as lots of other interesting lowcountry plants.

Another great place I recently went and saw wonderful Pitcher plants was in
the Francis Marion National Forest near Charleston. We saw some wonderful
stands of Flava and minor and the fringed orchis was in bloom. It was
great. But we were with a botanist who knew where to take us within the
250,000 acre forest.

Unfortunately there are those who would collect in such sites where the
purpose is to protect, so those who know the sites are reluctant to share
that knowledge freely.

P.Walker