RE: Sarracenia minor forms

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 04:36:15 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:36:15 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarracenia minor forms

>I have been led to believe that there is a pgmy form of Sarracenia minor
>currently being cultivated in Australia. I am well aware of the well
>documentedand grown giant form, but was wondering if the small form is well
>known in cultivation in America or England?
>Any input to this form, or any others of note would be most appreciated!

I've seen S. minor growing in coastal South Carolina that are definitely on
the small size with mature plants being less than 8 inches (and possibly 6
since I'm doing this from memory.) I've seen S. minor in other locations in
South Carolina that are large, easily above 12 inches if not more. Next
time I go out, I'll take a ruler.

In South Carolina I think what's happening is cultural rather than genetics.
In cultivation it could be either depending upon whether or not the grower
selected for size. Over many generations, it would be relatively easy to
grow a pygmy S. minor.

David
Atlanta