Making cats and sarrs happy

From: Marcus Rossberg (Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 06:44:38 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:44:38 +0200
From: "Marcus Rossberg" <Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Making cats and sarrs happy

It was one of these days when it was time again, to pick the ticks off
my cat. Usually somehow with this cat it's quite easy, I don't know
why, but when I grab the ticks with the tweezers they let go of more or
less instantly. Usually. Now this one really fat tick had decided to
fight, and so this took a little time and a lot of nerves (everyone who
ever freed a cat from ticks knows what I'm talking about - after a time
the cat gets bored and then you are in trouble). Well, I finally
managed to seperate cat and tick and made the healthy desicion to take
revenge on the tick and threw it into a pitcher of my S. purpurea. I
watch that little sucker drowing a little time and soon forgot about it.
A couple of days later I noticed, that the liquid in the pitcher got
deep red. I remembered the tick and realized, that the pitcher is now
full of my cats blood. I worried a littled that sarrs are not used to
catblood but insects, but decided to leave it as it was and see what
will happen. I have to add, that this S. purpurea always had only
little red color and wasn't too big. Well, after a week THAT changed.
The pitcher's color changed to a bright red and the plant started to
grow more new and bigger pitchers than ever. Alas, the season for ticks
seams to be over, at least my cat isn't bringing them home anymore. But
I know on what diet I put my sarrs next year. Has anybody made similar
experiences with feeding sarrs? I'd like to know. I really can't
believe, that the blood did it, but maybe it's a good idea feeding them.

Greetings, Marcus