Re: Nepenthes 'Coccinea'

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 21:09:51 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:09:51 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes 'Coccinea'

Hi Diana,

>Hi:
>
>I've just bought my first nepenthes with the above cultivar name. Can't
>find it in The Savage
>Garden.

        Actually, it is in the Savage Garden book, under the lowland
hybrids, page 255. Includes a picture of it.

> Can anyone tell me anything about this plant.

        Well, the cross is N. (rafflesiana x ampullaria) x mirabilis. The
pitchers can look rather similar, in my opinion, to some of the N.alata.
With warm temps and high humidity, it's an extremely vigorous grower. A
fairly common hybrid Nep.

> Plan to keep it in my bathroom which is most
>humid room in house and has south facing window. Will use distilled water
>as recommended on tag.

        Sounds good. It should appreciate the higher humidity from the
shower/bath.

>Has 17 pitchers/leaves? for only $16.99. Can't believe these arrived at
>work just after I was
>looking into their growing needs and wondering if they were worth all the
>money!

        This hybrid is probably one of the better 'newbie Neps', definitely
displaying hybrid vigour. The pitchers can get quite large as well,
another nice bonus! It does appreciate warmth though. Mine has slowed
down considerably since it was moved to a cool basement, although this
could be a seasonal thing.

>--
>Diana Pederson, Lansing, Michigan, United States, USDA Zone 5
>Editor: http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/enabling_garden

        Good luck with this plant. Again, a very suitable beginners Nep!

Happy growing,

Chris