Photo theft from CP Websites

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 11:06:07 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Photo theft from CP Websites

Hey folks,

The number of CP web sites continues to grow, and the CP Web Ring also is
a smashing success (about 60 sites have been approved so far).

Unfortunately, I have seen a number of web sites with images that have
been "borrowed" from other sites. Some of the web sites submitted to the
web ring for inclusion have used some of these "borrowed" images. In case
web masters interested in "borrowing" images from other sites are
uncertain about the ethics of this practice, let me clarify.

You should not do it without the webmaster's permission.

Pretty basic, ok?

I consider unapproved "borrowing" of sites an instant disqualification for
the web ring.

I encourage webmasters to contact me if their images have been
appropriated without permission on web ring sites. Some of us webmasters
(myself included) make part of our income by selling photographs, and so
we take photo theft seriously.

Barry

Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice
   bazza@sarracenia.com