Re: Drosera auriculata - hardiness?

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 20:34:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 20 Sep 99 23:34 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera auriculata - hardiness?

Dear Elliot,

> Would Drosera auriculata survive these temperatures, perhaps if
> protected from winter wet and cold in a frame? (Paul Temple suggests it
> could in his book.) Anyone had experience with this species outdoors?

   Nah, it will not survive temps this low. Were it dormant
when it gets this cold, perhaps, but not during active growth.
   If you grow it inside, you have to simulate winter lighting
for bulbous Drosera to grow happily. This is not easy to do,
and I haven't figured it out how to do this under lights yet.
I think the best bet would be one of those window still green-
houses, so you get natural lighting, but over here, in Jersey,
this set up seems like it would add a lot to the heating bill...

Dave Evans