CP indoor tank review

From: Richard & Lisa Koester (rlkoester1@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 13:43:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:43:32 -0500
From: Richard & Lisa Koester <rlkoester1@earthlink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP indoor tank review

Hi folks!

I just wanted to make sure we're not missing something w/ our tank
setup.

We're using a standard 40 gallon all glass tank....

Because I'd read about possibly needing a fan for ventilation and
removing
the light ballast to keep the temps down, and that the plants need to be
raised so close to the lights.... we turned the tank on its side, so
that
the open side, instead of being the top, is the front. The light, a
double
tube, 40 watter job, which actually extends past the end of the tank,
along
with its reflector, sits outside of the tank, on top. This has kept the
temps manageable.

Turned this way the plants would have been 12" from the light (instead
of
the 19 - 20" if used in the traditional way), but by placing them on top
of
plastic shoe boxes filled w/ water (for the humidity) one of which has a
submersible aquarium heater in it, they're slightly less than 7" from
the
lights.

The temps have been steady at 82 degrees, with a night time dip to 75
degrees. The humidity is between 75-80% and both have been easily
adjusted
by raising and lowering the piece of aluminum foil (dull side towards
the
plants) which covers half of the opening and looks lovely. This has only
proven to be necessary on days when it's exceptionally warm in the
apartment
(not very often!)

This is housing our D. capensis, aliciae, and adelae as well as our
P.primuliflora and esseriana, and U.bisquamata. Everyone that should be,
is
sticky, and the bisquamata has flowered...

Are we heading for disaster with this set-up? I hope not. Having the
opening
in the front makes maintenance and viewing so easy!

Thanks in advance.

Lisa.

Lisa Koester,
The Chicago Turtle Club,
A Great Place for Information, Animals, Fun and Friends!
http://www.geocities.com/~chicagoturtle/