Slug and salt in Sarr. pitcher

From: Jaap Noordeloos (Jaap@cable.A2000.nl)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 11:04:52 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:04:52 +0200
From: Jaap Noordeloos <Jaap@cable.A2000.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Slug and salt in Sarr. pitcher

Hi all,

Last weekend I cleaned up my Sarracenia's by cutting off the brown and
dead leaves. In a pitcher of a S.x mitcheliana I found a snail. I know
slugs and snails can eat complete plants so I wanna get rid of them.
Slugs and snails can't stand salt. If you sprinkle some salt on a slug
he's melting away (cruwel, isn't it?).

I sprinkle some salt in the pitcher where the snail was hiding. After
30 minutes I took a look to the snail to see what happened to him. He
was half melting away.

I wonder if salt in the pitcher do any harm/effect to to the pitcher or
the whole plant? I gues the picher will die so I cut it of.

Take care,

Wouter Noordeloos