Re: Lowland Nep. terrarium setup??

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 18:04:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:04:34 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Lowland Nep. terrarium setup??

Hi Omar,

> Im planning on setting up a lowland nepenthes terrarium for the
>few plants i have, and am looking for suggestions. I am gonna use a 60
>gallon tank, and want to use a 2 bulb light fixture with one gro lux light,
>and maybe a black light to add cool effects. I was planning on using a
>plastic grate to lay on the bottom, so water can collect and provide humidity
>w/o having the plants sit in water. Any suggestions are much appreciated! (
>do i need some kind of foil backing?)
> Thanks,
>Omar

        I'd use some sort of refelective backing, even white paper will
work. And, since it's a 60 gallon tank, I'd suggest using 4 lights,
instead of two. Unless of course you're using something like metal
halides. I personally wouldn't bother with having the black light
permanently on, although it would be neat to turn off the others and turn
that one on to see what patterns most insects probably see.

        As for watering, if your pots are deep enough, Neps can sit in a
small amount of water without worry of rot. Not as deep as your Sarrs, but
a little definitely doesn't hurt them, in my experience. As well, since
these are to be lowlanders, you may want to add some supplemental heating.
I've used the submersible aquarium heater in a gallon jar trick with good
success. Builds up a lot of mist on the glass, but otherwise very
effective.

Happy growing,

Chris