CP Hardiness in the UK

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 10:19:36 PDT

Date: 08 Oct 1999 18:19:36 +0100
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP Hardiness in the UK

I'm afraid not everyone would assert that Sarracenia and Dionaea are
hardy in the UK as confidently as Phil. I recommend you test a few
expendable plants first. From my experience, S purpurea seems ok
and I haven't tested Dionaea to the limit yet (which survives in the
New Forest) but the other Sarracenias might be suspect. Some
growers claim the main problems are wind-related rather than
temperature-related.

I have had a tiny snippet of U humboldtii in a B tatei for a month
now and it is growing slowly. The bladders particularly are twice
the size of those of my main, terrestrially-grown plant.

Regards, NigelH