Re: Manmade Species?

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 08:29:09 PDT

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:29:09 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Manmade Species?

<frl@mtecnetsp.com.br> writes:
> The coming CPN article will deal mainly with the treatment and
> selection process involved with Colchicine use. I felt that the
> philosophical details might make an amusing discussion topic here.
> So, what is your opinion? Should this new manmade allopolyploid be
> elevated to the species status as D.nagamotoi; or should it be kept
> at the hybrid level as D. x nagamotoi?

I can think of numerous examples of manmade hybrids that are both fertile
and infertile. Are there are any examples of manmade species in the
plant kingdom to serve as precedents?

Since I am unaware of the precedents, it seems to me that this plant
would clearly be a "special case" of hybrid. Being allopolyploid it has
the potential to be a species but it seems that the designation of
species involves more than just genetics. Such factors as habitat,
range, distribution, interspecies variation, pollinators etc. would be
relevant.

It is still very interesting as a laboratory example of how new species
can come into existence.

Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/