Re: Help

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 11:39:11 PDT

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 10:39:11 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help

Marc,

>I don't know which scientific name is the flytrap but it survived.

        D.muscipula

>I think the D.muscipula survived (smallist redish skinny leaves all
>branching from the base)
>
>I also have a plant I guess to be capensis. Long thin branches that
>separate into three or four long thin hairy skinny leaves.
>
>Any help with identifying these would be appreciated.
>
>Also, and more importantly, how to recover.
>
>I got some 'genuine organic sphagnum' Canadian - Fisons, crumbled it up,
>wet it first. put it in the former small plastic pots, put the plants
>back in roots down, set them back in a couple of inches of water.
>
>Any other suggestions?

        The plants, provided they weren't chewed up too badly, should
recover, although this late in the year makes it a bit harder on them.
More importantly though, is whether or not the racoon has been dealt with.
I personally have had bad luck with racoon invasions and can tell you that
they'll just keep coming back unless you 'dispose' of them in some way
(either live trapping or shooting) or possibly through putting a little
wettable sulfur around the plants (not on them, around the pots). Sulfur
is usually sold as a fungicide in most nurseries. Finally, you can do like
I've done with my outdoor bog and build some sort of cage to keep the coons
out, and your plants alive and happy.

>Thanks,
>
>Marc

        Good luck, racoons are, in my opinion, one of the worst pests your
collection can be exposed to. I hate the little %$^&!!! On that note...

Happy growing,

Chris