Re: Fungus Gnats

From: Peter Quinnear (Peter_Quinnear@rnli.org.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 03:30:19 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:30:19 +0100
From: "Peter Quinnear" <Peter_Quinnear@rnli.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fungus  Gnats

Marcus, you said you have never seen any harm done by the larvae of
these gnats.

I have in the past lost loads of pygmy drosera to the nasty little
pests. They eat the roots below the soil and you only really notice
the problem when your young plants, growing from gemmae, suddenly
turn brown and fall over.

My belief is the eggs are already present in the peat that I use in
my compost mix, therefore I now microwave all my pygmy compost
before sowing gemmae, and losses are much reduced. (My wife does
not know I microwave compost!!)

Pete