Re: Sarracenia pollination

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 15:51:46 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:51:46 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia pollination

David,

>I'm curious if Sarracenia that are growing outside the US and Canada are
>pollinated by your country's native insects. In the US, the pollinator is
>probably bees. Is that the same for you?

In my experience in the UK Sarracenias are rarely pollinated without the
aid of a human pollinator. I put this down less to the fact that they
are growing away from their native pollinators and more to the fact that
at that time of flowering there are very few insects about in general
here - our springs tending to be a bit later than those in the US.

It is something which I am grateful for at least. Being a producer of
Sarracenia seed it is nice not to have to worry about getting to the
plants before some rogue insect!

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk