Re: Nepenthes madagascarienses

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 21:52:11 PDT

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:52:11 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes madagascarienses

Hi Jos and everyone else,

>Hi folks,
>
>So far I have sent out 25 packets of N. madagascariensis seeds.
>Some people have asked me for growing instructions. I haven't grown this
>plant yet ( the seed was partly wild collected and partly bought from a
>local grower) but this is what I am going to do:
>Sow ASAP in Nep. compost at a temp > 25C.
>After the seeds have germinated, keep it somewhat less wet than other Nep's.
>Summer temps: 20C - 35C Winter temps: 15C - 25C.
>
>Are there experienced N. mad. growers who can comment on that?
>As the seed is partly wild-collected; is it wise to sterilise it? For
>example with H2O2 3% ?

        When I previously sowed some N.madagascariensis seed, I had good
germination rates using long fibred moss and temps around 25C. The
seedlings eventually all died (not my fault, honest!), but they did well
for a few months.

        One person who was very successful gave me his recipe for success.
He 'borrowed' a tupperware container from his wife, filled it with standard
mix, soaked it with water, sowed the seed, and sprayed heavily with, I
think, two different fungicides to prevent damping off. Covered the whole
thing with plastic wrap and put it under lights in his bedroom.
Germination and growth was phenomenal. I've got pictures somewhere!
Anyways, within a few months he was getting pitchers several inches in
length and needed to transplant the whole mess into larger quarters. He
transferred them to the garage (carport?) where conditions were slightly
cooler.

        As far as I know, they're still doing well. If that person is
reading this (and you know who you are, and you know you owe me an e-mail
;-)!), let me know how they're doing, or even better, the whole list :)!

        He tried the same technique with some other Nep seed I had sent him
with no success. I think N.mad is very tolerant of many conditions, and is
why it's so often seen in garden stores.

>Bye and happy growing,
>
>Jos Franken

Happy growing,

Chris