Nepenthes hybrid

From: Steve Alton (S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 05:00:33 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:00:33 +0100
From: "Steve Alton" <S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes hybrid

Dear All,

Can any UK growers shed any light on the identity of a fairly widely-
available Nep hybrid in my possession? My plant came (I think)
from Chris Crow of Sarracenia Nurseries and was sold to me as N.
x coccinea. However, looking in The Savage Garden, my plant (and
others I have seen dying in garden centres) look much more like N.
x morganiana ie. fat pitchers, green background with heavy red
speckling. My plant has never, under the range of environmental
conditions it has had to suffer, produced red pitchers with green
spotting.

I appreciate that the plants have the same parentage - are they
also so variable that they can resemble each other?

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Steve Alton
UK Co-ordinator - Millennium Seed Bank
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew