Open Challenge to Tissue Culture experts

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 15:40:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Open Challenge to Tissue Culture experts

Hey folks,

For reasons explained below, I challenge you tissue culture experts to
develop expertise at propagating Sarracenia via tissue culture! I am not
talking about seeds, I am talking about propagating existing plants. Can
you do it? I want to talk to those who can!

----Why-----

Relatively recently, Ron Gagliardo left Atlanta Botanical Gardens for the
north. He seems to be out of the CP loop. Unfortunately, as far as I know
he is the only person who has successfully inserted Sarracenia into tissue
culture, from vegetative source material.

Having the ability to get specific Sarracenia clones into tissue culture
would be a huge boon to propagation. It would mean the many superior
Sarracenia clones (especially cultivars) could be propagated and
distributed. Without significant distribution, some of these fine clones
can be lost forever. Tissue culture propagation of Sarracenia is needed!

I suspect it would also be a financially lucrative prospect, too.

Sincerely

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter