RE: Benomyl/Benlate

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 06:54:03 PST

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:54:03 -0500
From: Tom Massey <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Benomyl/Benlate

I was slow to respond when someone said Benmyl had never been taken off the
market because I don't have any positive proof. But as I recall, Benlate
was removed from the market, at least here in Florida. Florida was hit very
hard with the contaminated Benlate. An article in the paper within the
last six months or so reported that the last lawsuits with Dupont had just
been settled. I had understood - or maybe presumed- that it was removed
from sale nationwide. GIven the lawsuits in Florida, I had assumed that
Dupont would not leave themselves open to continuous lawsuits around the
rest of the the nation. Obviously, it could be for sale in the rest of the
world where there is not a lawyer on every corner.

As for alternatives, I have used Captan, Zerotol (new one), Chipco, and
Alliette (sp). I use them according to label directions on outside growing
Neps and Sarrs. and for planting seed. I have not seen any damage to the
cp's, although Captan does seem to kill live sphagnum. Both Captan and
Chipco/Alliette work very well for controlling damp-off and other fuzzy
crap (to be technical) for Nep and Sarr seedlings.

Tom in Fl.