Re: frozen tropical drosera

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 06:59:02 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:59:02 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: frozen tropical drosera

> How well do tropical drosera bounce back from being lightly frozen? The
> other night I left my plants outside and woke up to frost all over
> everything. I normally leave them out as long as I can, only bringing
> them up to the covered patio when it gets close to freezing, and then
> bringing them inside once winter arrives for good. The Sarrs and VFTs
> weren't even fazed but my D. capensis plants don't look so good. Also
> frozen were D. aliciae (not too bad, though), D. binata, and some
> pygmies (they really don't look too good!). What are the chances that
> I'll be replacing them in the spring?

I've kept all of these drosera EXCEPT pygmies in a cool unheated
greenhouse that occasionally freezes. The Drosera capensis were
closest to the windows two of the winters and their pots froze solid
when the greenhouse went as low as 28. All types did just fine and
came back each spring. I think the key is that the freeze is BRIEF...
they would not be as likely to come back from a prolonged freeze.
Just be sure not to keep them overly wet until they recover next
spring.
Good luck!

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden