Re: Marston Exotics

From: Toby Marsden (toby@toby.org.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 12:53:04 PST

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:53:04 -0000
From: "Toby Marsden" <toby@toby.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Marston Exotics

Hi All,

> Anyone, especially in the UK, know anything about the piece in the 3rd
UKCPS
> newsletter about the sale of Marston Exotics?
> Seems a bit strange that the premier supplier to the UK should up sticks.
>
> Is there a buyer lined up and will the business continue?
> I ask for three reasons, firstly Paul Gardner is a pretty OK chap, good to
> chat to ,I wonder if he's OK and will still continue to do flower shows
> (especially Southport!!!).
>
> Secondly Marstons has the CP distribution pretty well sewn up , in the NW
of
> the UK anyway, some of the Garden centres that I visit I only tend to vist
> because of their CPs, will this still continue?, and lastly.......
>
> If Marstons isnt in the trade anymore then we'll have to put up with
crappy,
> overproduced, badly named Dutch imports.

Marston Exotics and Lawnsdown Nurseries has been bought by Wyevale Container
Plants Ltd. of Hereford (recently separated from Wyevale Garden Centres -
which, interestingly enough, sells poor-quality, overpriced, underpotted
VFTs). Paul Gardner has accepted a contract to stay on with Marston, along
with two "unnamed" staff, presumably Jackie, his wife, and possibly another
member of his family (I'm guessing).

I haven't seen this UKCPS article, BTW, but I noticed there was an article
about it in Nurseryman & Garden Centre (or something like that) at work
today.

Hope this helps. E-mail me if you want a photocopy of the article (and that
goes for everyone else on the list) - I'll get a copy next time I'm at the
Gardens. Marston can be contacted on (01981) 251140 if my memory serves
correctly.

Kindest regards,

Toby

--
Toby Marsden "with his finger on the pulse"
Herefordshire, UK