Hybrid Mexican Pinquicula

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 10:51:53 PST

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:51:53 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hybrid Mexican Pinquicula

Thanks Jan,

>Now the fertility of hybrids between the two groups (Orcheosanthus
>and Crassifolia) calls their distinctness in question, especially as
>hybrids between *really* distinct groups (_P. zecheri_ * _P. agnata_,
>both with 2n=22! or _P. zecheri_ * _P. rotundiflora_) seem to be
>sterile.

This gives me an idea. If someone in the States could mail me a plant of
this P. zecheri X agnata, maybe I could double the chromosome number with
colchicine and make this hybrid fertile as I have done with sundews.
Since the result would be 2n = 44, perhaps this might in turn produce a
fertile hybrid when crossed with P. moranensis which is also 2n = 44. If
this were possible, then these fine plants could be continued to be bred
and selected; also, their taxonomy could be more reasonably worked out.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California