Re: _Capsella_

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 07:00:16 PST

Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 15:00:16 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: _Capsella_

Dear Anita,

> I am trying
> to find an article which was written in the Carvinorous Plants
> Newsletter back sometime in 1970-75. I do not know who wrote it nor
> the name of the article. It concerns the carnivory of the seed of
> Capsella bursa-pastoris.

Most probably the article (I do not have that CPN copy here right
now) referred to a paper cited in:

J.T.BARBER, C.R.PAGE III, A.I.BERGER, L.D.HOHENSCHUTZ (1976)
"Interactions Between Mosquito Larvae and Mucilaginous Plant Seeds
Part 3: Factors Influencing Attachment of Larvae to Seeds and Their
Subsequent Mortality. Mosq. News 36 (3): 301-307.
Abstract: "Various factors affecting attachment of mosquito larvae
(_Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus_ Say) to mucilaginous plant
seeds (_Capsella bursa-pastoris_ (L.) Medic) were investigated
together with the effects of these factors upon larval mortality.
Heat-killed seeds are able to entrap and cause the death of larvae
after either brief or prolonged soaking and sequential soaking and
drying of the seeds did not remove their ability to subsequently
entrap larvae. The pH of the medium in which attachment trials
were performed influenced the percentage of larvae becoming
entrapped. The attraction of larvae to seeds decreased with
increasing age of larvae suggesting that the decreased attachment of
larvae with age may have a basis in something other than mere
physical size. Further attraction tests indicated that larval
populations were homogenous with regard to individuals' responses to
chemoattractant."

> If anyone could tell me how I could contact the Newsletter or anyone associated with I would appreciate
> it very much.

You are talking (virtually) with a co-editor of CPN. I will try to
find the mentioned article for you.

Kind regards
Jan