Fungus on Drosera capensis

From: mbrassel (mbrassel@goplay.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 09:36:25 PST

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:36:25 -0800
From: "mbrassel" <mbrassel@goplay.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fungus on Drosera capensis

I'm having a problem with fungus on my Drosera capensis plant, and I'm
looking for advice on how to solve it. It isn't affecting the health
of the plant now, but I'm afraid it might start to.

I keep it in a 10-gallon aquarium with the glass lid cracked open,
under some ordinary flourescent lights. It's in a pot by itself, in a
peat/sand mix. The soil is always moist, and the humidity is high.

The problem I've been having is when it catches what appear to be
fungus gnats (very small flying black bugs). After a while, some kind
of fungus starts to grow, and it ends up looking like the plant has
little white cotton puffs on the leaves where the bugs were. I've been
picking the bugs off the plant when this white stuff starts to grow on
them, but I'm looking for a better solution.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this? If so, how did you get
rid of it? Is it a problem with the growing conditions, or do I just
need to use some kind of fungicide?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on this matter.

Michael Brassell
mbrassel@goplay.com

| http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play! |