Re: Infestation problems!

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 05:56:57 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:56:57 -0500
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Infestation problems!

> My plants are covered with "scales." I only buy sphagnum that has
>been boiled. Where are these little monsters coming from and how do I get
>rid of them without killing my plants? Last year I had an aphid problem
>and would rub isoprobly alcohol on the bugs and that worked really well
>without harming my plants too much. Will this work on scales?

Tony,
If you are willing to deal with these little buggers by hand, then alcohol
will work. I have also used Dr. Bronner's soap. I think any liquid soap
would do, but I feel that Dr. Bronners is friendlier to plants (CPs and
otherwise) but this is only a hunch with no scientific evidence to back it
up. As a bonus, it smells great! :) If you're into the chemical thing, a
systemic insecticide (as someone suggested) is another approach. As to where
they come from, I was told once that this insect spends part of its life in
a phase that's capable of flight, so they're an airborne menace. Maybe
someone else can clarify all of this vague information I've given.

HTH