Re: Lighting question

From: Rich Ellis (ricell@juno.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 09:41:15 PST

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 10:41:15 -0700
From: Rich Ellis <ricell@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Lighting question

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 02:59:35 -0800 Andrew Bate <cp@jedi.clara.co.uk>
writes:
> Has anyone got any experiences to share with either Metal Halide or
> High Pressure Sodium lighting with CP's?
>
> I currently have 2 terraria (I assume that's the plural!) in which
> I use Hagen "LifeGro" tubes to quite good results. Problem is that
> at some time in the future I will need to move to a larger setup,
> preferably in a dedicated enclosure and am wondering about MH or HPS
> lights for that extra oomph!

I currently use a 1000 watt Metal Halide to illuminate a growing area of
about 8'x8' by 7' high. It works very well and I am generally pleased
with the color of the plants and their growth. I used to grow plants in
an assortment of terraria with flourescent tubes and I find that I much
prefer this setup because I can be in the room with my plants rather than
peering into them through glass boxes. The overall power used is
actually less than what I was using with the multitude of flourescents.
I don't recall the specific costs but I think the light and transformer
cost around $150 US and the bulb is about $75. The bulb is supposed to
be replaced once a year though I let mine go for 2 years without obvious
ill effects. The light was noticably more intense after I replaced the
bulb, however.

The way my setup is organised, the brightest area is right over the
walkway, and the plants are on benches and hanging up on the edges in a
"U" formation. I suspect I could get away with a lower wattage bulb if
the light hung more directly over the plants - perhaps on a moving track,
or conversely that I could illuminate a larger area (if the room would
accomodate it) with my 1000 watt bulb.

Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/