Re: Fire ants in Flytrap Country

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 13:32:15 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:32:15 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fire ants in Flytrap Country

Howdy kids, Peter here at California Carnivores:
      I just thought I'd mention that when I went on a field trip with Larry
Mellichamp and Ron Gardner a few years ago, down in the Wilmington, North
Carolina area, scattered amid the flytraps and pitcher plants were nothing
BUT fire ant hills. I was astounded at how many there were, like every 20
feet or so. A thousand years ago when I was going to college in Miami
(Florida), I had a tank of carnivores outdoors in my backyard. One day I went
out to look at them and kneeled beside the tank in the grass. I was suddenly
attacked by fire ants, who didn't seem interested in the plants at all, just
me! I survived (barely) about 100 very painful stings, an experience I'll
never forget. Seeya. Peter