re: d. ordensis/-

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 11:49:24 PST

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:49:24 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: d. ordensis/-

> 1. i germinated d. ordensis in late spring 1999. the plants are in a
> mix of 8 parts sand to 2 parts peat. at this time, the rosette is
> about one inch in diameter, which seems small to me. the temperature
> never drops below 65 F, and tends to be closer to 72. i've tried
> varying the light intensity and humidity, but the little guys never
> look overly happy. can anyone who has successfully grown this species
> from seed share info about compost, light levels, humidity levels, and
> growth rates? (if you recommend a different compost, please advise
> whether transplanting plants of this size would be wise.)incidentally,
> the conditions i've had the ordensis in seem to suit d. paradoxa just
> fine.

Hi Mike,

I have D. ordensis (Kununurra) which germinated in May of 1999. I sowed
two batches: one on pure sphagnum peat moss, and the other on one part
each of peat moss and sand, and due to my laziness they have remained in
the same pots until today. The plant sizes is from approx. 1.5 cm to
just short of 4 cm i diameter (some has entered dormancy). Since last
summer I have been feeding them periodically quite heavily with
fruitflies. As I wrote above, I haven't transplanted any of them yet and
some
of them is
suffering from the crowding, but I plan to rectify this situation soon.
The temps I keep my plants in is from the low 70's d F (21 d C) in the
nighttime to low 80's d F (28 d C) in the daytime. I kept the pots in
plastic bags one foot below two 18 W fluorescent light bulbs (Osram
lumilux with clip-on reflectors) and one 30 W light bulb the first 5
months, but now they are in a small terrarium (fish tank). Conditions
now are; light: two 15 W light bulbs, humidity: above 60 %, the
temperature day/night is almost the same as before. Before they were
moved into the terrarium they were exposed to lower daytime temps and
lower light,
for some weeks, which caused three of them to go dormant. They haven't
resumed growth after that, but several other specimens (in the same pot)
is in full growth. This species is definitely one of my favorites with
its lovely combination of the whitish green petioles and orange red
traps.

Mike, what is causing you to worry about your plants? Do they
grow fewer leaves, shorter leaves, no dew, or?

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se