Cold/Hot hardiness?

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:01:34 PST

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:01:34 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cold/Hot hardiness?

I'll be re-doing my outdoor bog this spring. I'm upgrading to one of
those nice hard black plastic pond forms which is about three times as
large as my existing bog (thanks to my mother-in-law), and I'd like to
plant something other than just S. oreophila (which is all I have
outside now). Specifically I'm wondering about the cold hardiness of S.
leucophylla, S. rubra, S. flava, S. purpurea venosa, and VFTs. Also
wondering how well S. purpurea purpurea does in hot climates. Salt Lake
City has long, cold winters with a lot of snow, and hot, dry summers in
the upper 90s F (around 37-38 C). The bog will still be under the rain
gutter next to the house, and I will continue to mulch it over winter.
If anyone has any experience with the above I'd appreciate your comments
or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah

PS - I have a few different types of pygmy gemmae I'm selling. If
interested, there's a note near the bottom of the CP Trading Post, or
e-mail me for details (prefer USA only).