hydroponics experiment update

From: Owen Priddle (owen_prid@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 22:58:48 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:58:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Owen Priddle <owen_prid@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: hydroponics experiment update

Hi everybody-

You may remember that I started experimenting with
hydroponics a couple of months ago... I thought I
would post a brief update here.

Basically, everything is doing very well! My original
planting included Heliamphora, Cephalotus, Nepenthes,
Darlingtonia, Drosera, Genlisea, and Utricularia. Of
these, all are thriving except for Nepenthes, which
never became established. The Helis and Cephalotus are
well rooted and actively growing, the Droseras are
growing EXTREMELY fast, and the Utricularia is, of
course, quickly making itself a weed.

A brief description of my set-up:
1) plants are potted in small mesh pots of the kind
designed for aquaculture, in either rockwool, lava
rock, or clay pearls.
2) the pots are set in a window-box type planter and
surrounded with clay pearls.
3) the entire surface is covered with a thin layer of
lava-rock; this prevents algal growth and also helps
to weigh the material down and prevent the clay-pearls
from floating.
4) the planter sits atop a bucket full of the watering
solution, with a small aquarium pump which
periodically floods the whole thing from the bottom.

The watering solution is distilled water, Blackwater
Tonic at recommended strength, and a commercial
all-purpose hydroponics solution at one-half
recommended strength.
I do not monitor water-quality.

Originally I had everything planted directly in clay
pearls directly in the planter, but they tended to
float and shift and the plants fell over and were
unable to develop good root systems. Covering the
surface with lava-rocks to weigh it down, and in some
cases planting specimens in rockwool, solved this.

I also grow N. northiana in a passive hydroponics
system -- a mix of lava, clay, and charcoal, sitting
in a shallow tray of pure water -- with great success.

I highly recommend that everyone experiment with this
-- my thrown-together system works extremely well, and
I am sure that with refinement and experimentation it
could be made even more effective.

If anyone wishes further information I'd be happy to
provide it!

-Owen Priddle
http://im.yahoo.com