re: earwigs

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 07:26:25 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:26:25 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: earwigs

Nathan Clemens wrote:
> The second involves what we call 'Earwigs', small
> insects that have what looks like two inward curved
> tweezers at the tips of their abdomens. Anyways,
> they get and munch away on some of my Mexican
> _Pinguiculas_, and I am convinced that they have
> been retarding the growth of my _P. species Pico De
> Oriziba_. They have been in almost plague proportions
> the last few months, with the mild Summer & wet weather.
> So, if anyone knows of a simple, yet effective way to get
> rid of the blasted things, I would be thrilled!

Sorry to hear you have the disgusting little things in Australia, too.
They haven't been much of a problem for me, but I regularly find them
caught by S. purpurea and VFTs, so maybe buy a few extra of those plants
and put them with your pings. I'd also recommend finding out what areas
they breed in, like under boards and such, and eliminate any potential
breeding areas. And finally, something like Diazinon might help, too.
Good luck.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA