Flytrap leaves

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 03:27:02 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:27:02 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Flytrap leaves

Hi All,

The abnormalities being discussed here concerning the
double traps have been discussed for some time, now.
I remember having plants send up the odd leaf from
time to time. However, there are more environmental
conditions that produce these leaves than genetic. In
genetically altered plants the condition will happen
in the majority of leaves (all the leaves, even).
What people are saying in these messages sound more
environmentally induced -- sudden increases or
decreases in light, changes in watering patterns, wide
fluxuations in humidity levels, and/or wide changes in
heat. The odd leaf won't signify anything. In one
message, the grower discussed peeling off a leaf,
rooting it, and all the traps produced were normal!
When someone produces a plant where all the traps are
double, and this plant produces seeds where there are
plants which carry on the trait I will change my idea
and agree that these are genetic alterations.

A question asked about the trap quality: My plants'
leaves didn't function well. The double trap doesn't
seem to have the same hydropressure in the mid-stem of
the trap. Therefore, from the standpoint of trapping
ability the "double trap" plant would not survive as
well as the "single trap" plant. A natural selection
mechanism that helps explain the rarity we are
discussing.

When plantlets are produced on the flower scape, same
deal.... Usually, fluxuations in water/humidity will
create plantlets on the flower scape.

Sorry, guys. Environment fools us, sometimes.
Bruce
http://im.yahoo.com