Re: germinating Ping. seeds

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 04:48:16 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:48:16 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: germinating Ping. seeds

Hi,

>Hi, I'm only a CP beginner but am about to receive some seeds of Ping. Lutea
>and Ping. Primulifolia, I think both originated from Florida. Could someone
>give me some advice on how to germinate them, and how long it would take for
>them to get to blooming size. Your help is much appreciated.

Both these seeds should germinate easily with little or no problems.
Simply sprinkle the seeds onto pots of soil - use a mix of about 50/50
peat and fine sand. The seeds are very fine so there is no need to cover
them - at least I've never done so. You should get germination within
about six weeks assuming a minimum temperature of about 15C.

Transplant the seedlings once they have developed several leaves into
individual pots. You should be able to get them to flowering size in
about two years though I have had plants flowering after just one year.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk