Re: genlisea leaf cuttings

From: Andy Falshaw (A.Falshaw@irl.cri.nz)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 14:14:47 PST

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:14:47 +1300
From: "Andy Falshaw" <A.Falshaw@irl.cri.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: genlisea leaf cuttings

> I would like to hear some more details as to how you prepare and
> culture the Genlisea leaf cuttings. I am pretty sure that Sundew
> Matt has had some luck with leaf cuttings for Genlisea as well.

I did pretty much what is suggested in "the savage garden".
For g. violacea I pulled single leaves off the plant, and laid them on
top of live sphagnum. I didn't pay any attention to whether they
came off with any white on the base or not. This is in an unheated
terrarium in natural light, where the parent plant is doing ok, and I
did it in autumn. After a week or two some leaves had clearly died
off, the others started to grow small traps. Once I was sure the
cuttings had taken I potted them up into either live sphagnum or a
50:50 peat:sand mix, either worked ok. I gave these plants away a
month or two ago, I haven't heard how they're doing, I assume
they're fine.
Andy