Re: Okefenokee

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 06:47:06 PST

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:47:06 -0500
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Okefenokee

>I'm thinking of planning a canoeing trip to the Okefenokee Swamp
>(Georgia) sometime next spring (not this year)... what would be the
>best time to see Sarracenia in bloom? Any advice is greatly
>appreciated!

Hi Susan,
In southeastern North Carolina, the end of April is a good time to see
Sarracenia in bloom. I would guess that south Georgia would be as much as a
month ahead of this schedule. Make sure you know where to look, as well. I
was there in early January of this year and the rangers I spoke to had no
idea where to look for carnivorous plants in the swamp. I was hugely
disappointed. What really got me mad is that within view of the ranger
station there is a drainage ditch with a large population of D. capillaris
on one side. (We went in the west entrance, BTW.) I went back and told one
ranger, but she didn't seem to care.

Happy hunting!

Philip
URL du jour: http://www.drbronner.com/main.html

PS - Re: dormancy, here in Durham, NC my CPs just got blasted with 18 inches
of snow and some arctic cold about a week ago, so any thoughts they had
about an early start were squashed.