Helis on Mt.Neblina

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 19:25:16 PST

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 00:25:16 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Helis on Mt.Neblina

To Ivan and all,

> Last year I aquired about 100 wild collected seed of Heliamphora
>which was collected by a group of CP nuts who climbed Mount Neblina. The
>seed was a mix of both H. neblina and tatei.

        Slight mix-up here. The two species up there were H.tatei
var.neblinae and a new species we're calling H.sp."Neblina". The latter was
more abundant and occurred in pure populations. H.t.neblinae was only found
in one small site where each clone was VERY differente from the next and
we're still not sure about the degrees of hybridization with H.sp."Neblina",
which grew around there as well. Or maybe it was just extremely variable --
looking more like Sarracenia sometimes (see pics on Andreas Wistuba's and my
own homepage). Hell, the impression I got was that Heli taxonomy is simply
impossible to solve! It's evolutionary origin appears to have been very
recent.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil