G.aurea

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 19:31:24 PST

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 00:31:24 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: G.aurea

Hi Richard,

>Anyone with stubborn little plants of Genlisea aurea could try
>submersing the pot. I tried this and the plants took off immediately.
>I suspect that they may be semi-aquatic in habit (Fernando should know).

            Usually they grow in very boggy seepages and the rosettes are
covered by a thin film of cold water.

>It will be great when the full monograph comes out for this amazing
>Genus, does anyone know anything about this work?

            Yes, it's been sacked years ago. I think it was wishful thinking
on Peter Taylor's behalf. I talked to Elza Fromm-Trinta a few years ago and
discovered she was retired. There I was trying to tell her what a wonderful
plant G.uncinata was (she'd described this species in the early 80's based
on a few small herbarium specimens -- and I'd just recently found it in the
wild) and all she could talk about was her young grandaughter. A bit
frustrating, to say the least! Apparently, like Taylor, she doesn't want to
look back on Lentibulariaceae unfortunately...

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil