Database of Droseras of North America

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 16:05:48 PST

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:05:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Database of Droseras of North America

Hey folks,

I have just been told about an interesting, developing database on
plants of North America. In its early stages, it only contains information
on two families, one of which contains Venus Flytraps and Sundews. If you
want to download this (free) database, point your web browser to:
http://www.bonap.org

The database is quite nice, and comes with a set of distribution maps,
too. Lots of fun. Read the mail I got below about it, then download it and
enjoy.

Cheers

Barry

------------------------
Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor
barry@carnivorousplants.org
http://www.carnivorousplants.org

Hi Barry,

I'm a coauthor of a database of all vascular plants, native or
naturalized, in North America, 22,006 species in all; 28,033 if you
include subspecies and varieties. It is called the "Synthesis of the
North American Flora" and is being distributed through the North Carolina
Botanical Garden.

John Kartesz and I decided to put a demo version with just two families,
the Droseraceae and the Aceraceae, for people to see how the software
works. I thought the carnivorous plant folks might be interesed in this,
so I found your FAQ page. The demo file can be found at
http://www.bonap.org. It is a 1 megabyte self-installing Windows program.
The help file tells all about the features of the software.

Take a look if you are interested. If you do down- load it, please let me
know what you think. If you think it's worthwhile, I'd be pleased if you
would post information about the demo so that other CP folks can take a
look.

Cheers,

Chris Meacham
Research Associate