Re: Mealies on VFT

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 19:29:00 PST

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:29:00 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mealies on VFT

Hello Dick,

> I have a four year old (thriving) VFT which has inherited mealies from my
> cacti during the winter months. I have picked out all the old brown stalks
> etc. & used tweezers to remove visible varmints. Although I use Sybol
>&Rapid
> aerosols on cacti I'm a bit nervous to use these on the VFT. Can anyone
> recommend treatment with insecticides available over here in the UK?

    If the plant is in active growth, just take the whole pot and submerge
in a bucket of water for two days. All the mealies will be dead as should
most and probably all the eggs. I would not use an aerosol can of anything
on any CP's.
     If it's not in active growth, most any insecticide that you mix with
water and apply as a soak ought to do the trick.

Dave Evans